"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Wednesday 22 March 2017

Rats, a mouse, and a squirrel

The islands history goes back to over a hundred and twenty years ago when white man first began to settle here. Even with the long history of steam boats servicing the island there have been no rats. All of this changed in the last year when black rats were trapped on the island. When I found a single dropping that was to big to be a mouse dropping on my covered back porch I was mortified. Five weeks later when I went out to town I purchased two plastic snap traps - each one made by a different manufacturer - just in case one did not work. I baited them with peanut butter and placed one on the back deck. I put it under a table and tied it to the table legs next to the cabin. The second went into a box with two small holes cut out as entrance ways and weighted with bricks. I put this trap under the foundation at the front of the cabin. Than I waited. The first night I caught nothing. The second morning I caught a red squirrel in the trap on the back deck. The third night I caught a deer mouse in the other trap. These rodents I am used to. In the four nights following that I caught nothing. It turns out that red squirrel droppings are similar to black rat droppings so this seems to be a case of mistaken identity. I am truly grateful. Nevertheless my trap line is still set up. I am sure none of you have any interest in seeing pictures of any of this......

Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Ugh...you are brave. I cringe at the sight of spiders. Of course, I still manage to fend for myself, but rats? Um. No. I hope it is mistaken identity and you don't find any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim I caught my second mouse last night - in the trap in the box. Apparently black rats eat mice so if I didn't have mice it could be a sign of rats. I'm very glad I don't have rats. It did take some conditioning - at least for me it did years ago to learn to deal with mice. That said I do not see anything adorable about them at all and I often wonder how they got all that misguided charm. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you don't have rats! Is it because you know there are rats on the island? I hope they stay away from your place? Would a cat work better than the traps? I always prefer a momma cat around the place, they seem to do the best, and that way I don't have to put out traps, lol! Hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn It's been about two weeks or so since I put out the traps and I haven't caught anything else after that second mouse. From what I understand cats may go after a young rat but they leave the older ones. I think terrier's may be the better way to go as they were bred for rat rodent control in factories. I am glad you don't have a rodent problem. This is such a blessing that has lightened my heart. Hugs to you today! Ronda

      Sent from my iPhone

      Delete
  4. Whew! That is good news. I battled rats for months last year and it was so disturbing! Now I have bait boxes in two places on the property, after requiring an exterminator to get rid of them in the attic and under the house. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete