"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Wednesday 15 March 2017

All about thumbs


My daughter needed a new pair of mittens for her growing hands. She loved the fish pattern and colours from the last pair I made so I simply enlarged my pattern. I have a basic pattern that I use for all of my mittens. Each pair that I knit for her I write down how many stitches I used at the key points and that assists me in estimating how many stitches I need to enlarge another pair. (I also write down what yarn and what size double pointed needles I have used.) I only use double pointed needles to knit mittens. After knitting to where I want to place the thumb I estimate how many stitches I will put on a stitch holder. This is approximately a quarter of the total number of stitches you cast on. For this pair it was ten stitches. Immediately after placing them on the holder I will cast on the same number - ten stitches. I will then finish knitting the mitten. After the mitten is knit I will return to knitting the thumb. I put the stitches on the stitch holder on two double pointed needles - dividing the stitches equally between them. For this pair of mittens I put five stitches on each double pointed needle. Than I picked up ten stitches - putting five stitches on each needle. I now have four double pointed needles with five stitches on each of them. I will now knit these twenty stitches with a fifth double pointed needle until I have knit to the top of the thumb. ( You will have to try the mitten on to determine this.) At this point I will divide the stitches equally between two double pointed needles. For this pair of mittens it was ten stitches on each needle. The shaping for the top of the thumb is: knit 1, slip 1, psso, knit to the last two stitches on the needle and k2tog. I repeat this on both needles until I have 8- 10 stitches left - roughly half of how many stitches I started with. This is counting all the stitches on both needles. I will than do Kitchener stitch ( There are some excellent video's on utube demonstrating this finishing stitch.) to weave the opening shut. There are many other possibilities of doing this - but this has through trial and error become my signature way. I like to keep things simple and I look for repetitive patterns and I use proportions to assist me in this way.

7 comments:

  1. LOL- You lost me at double pointed needle. LOL I have done many crafts over the years but I have never learned to knit or crochet. A pity, really. Those are beautiful little mittens for those precious little hands. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana Basically a single pointed needle has one point and is used for knitting rows. A double pointed needle has points on both ends and is used in circular knitting. Garments constructed in circular knitting have no seams and no finishing. They are in my humble opinion superior. It's such a blessing to have a child isn't it? I am glad you stopped by - it's always nice to hear from you. Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can make a scarf...garter stitch and sometimes I can even remember how to finish it off!! Ha! I have always wanted to learn and take it further or crochet, but so far, no time in the schedule. Your daughter is a lucky girl with a very creative mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim good for you! You may wish to try circular knitting....think infinity scarf. All you need is the knit stitch which is what you are doing in garter stitch and some beautiful yarn. The fabric you knit - stockinette - is going to look different because you are going round and round instead of back and forth. Since there are a lot of stitches involved in an infinity scarf you would use a circular needle instead of double pointed one's. Circular needles have a point on each end made from wood, bamboo, plastic or metal and a nylon or plastic looking cord connecting the points. I hope that helps you and if you need help ask me and happy knitting! Ronda ps Are you interested in seeing a sweater I knit completely in garter stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never learned to knit, but the results are always so beautiful that I wish I had more time to take a class. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura Knitting has been such a blessing to me that I always like to share it with others. Maybe someday you will find time! Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mittens look amazing, great way to remember how to keep making the mittens bigger for her by recording your stitches. It has been a long time since I've either knitted or crocheted. Maybe someday I'll find time to take them up again :)

    ReplyDelete