"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Wednesday 15 February 2017

Mittens and a saw

Bob Dustrude's quick action buck saw is a wonderful tool however I find the square tubing uncomfortable to hold with bare hands. (I have average sized hands.) I knit these mittens from two strands of leftover worsted wool using 2.75 mm double pointed needles. They are very heavy and they are perfect when I need to use this saw in the winter months. The saw is foldable and built to last- I have given it plenty of use this winter after having to recut much of my firewood. Any blade will do although it would be wonderful to find a blade that I could resharpen myself - instead of the disposable blades which is the only option I have been able to find. There is a wooden tensioning device not shown at the top of the photo to tighten/ loosen the blade.

Sent from my iPhonen

4 comments:

  1. You are my hero, Ronda, living off the land as you do with your daughter. Those gloves are lovely and I bet they serve their purpose well.
    I suppose there is no money for the manufacturer in making a blade that can be sharpened. That is how they "get" you.
    Have a wonderful Thursday, Ronda. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous blue mittens. Love that color. You are so gifted, Ronda. I don't think there's anything you can't do. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, bless your heart! You are making the best of what you have to work with. Is there a reason you use the saw instead of an ax to split the firewood? Just curious, I'm wondering since the saw must be easier to use. I don't have the arm strength to split wood, although I have a neighbor in her 60s who splits her own wood! You are an amazing woman Ronda... by the way, did you ever figure out your refrigerator situation? I have been praying for you that you would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I use both a saw and an axe. The hired man cut quite a bit of my wood an inch or so too long to fit into my woodstove - so I've been sawing it down. I'm not sure what has happened to the repairman - he hasn't come yet! Thank you for your prayer's. Ronda

      Delete