"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Monday 11 April 2016

In the garden

I am working in the garden with my daughter. Last night it rained and the earth is dark and fragrant. The growth rate among the plants and leaves is phenomenal. It is a cool day dappled with sunlight behind clouds. Clouds that look like they could leak at a moment's notice. There is a hummingbird nest high up in a western hemlock bough beside the garden. Her nest receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Once I saw her voraciously attack a chickadee who perched too close. I watch her come and go. From her nest she can see everything going on at the feeder in the yard. I wish I could spend all day out here in my yard like her. I built a raised garden bed for my daughter and she is really excited about it. This is her garden and like her mother's heart she loves flowers. In the newness of spring through the emerging plant life I am contemplating the character of God. The beauty speaks of his love and in the task of caring for it I find fulfillment, peace and joy. However short or long I make that acquaintance in the time spent amongst plants their presence transforms my life blessing me. Such is the care of God. In the countless diversity of plants I see He celebrates variety in a way that I cannot comprehend.

Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Gardening really is good for the soul. I find it meditative and I love feeling my hands in the dirt. I love watering my plants and collecting flowers and tomatoes from my yard. Of course, we are just seeing the first signs of spring here, so that is a while away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me! Gardening has something for everybody. Glad to hear that spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea to give your daughter her own garden! Such precious memories the two of you are making. I enjoyed your thoughts of how the Lord takes care of us in such beautiful ways that we really cannot comprehend. I am curious, what sorts of things have you started to plant in your garden? I have started peas, broccoli, kale and spinach here so far. I haven't seen any hummingbirds yet, but perhaps I need to get the feeders out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just planted all of my cool vegetable seeds. My peas are about an inch high. The red flowering currant blossoms coincide with the return of the rufous hummingbirds. You may want to check to see whether you have that shrub growing in your area - it's very beautiful- or if you don't have that there is probably something similar. The raised garden bed is working out extremely well with my four year old. Ronda

      Delete