"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Tuesday 9 June 2015

Roses

I took two quilts off the bed and I can forget about feeding the wood stove. It's hot outside and the northwesterly wind that usually feels cold is now refreshing. I feed off the long hours of daylight like a caterpillar on a leaf.
What is the simple life? If it's defined by a washing machine and running water than I don't have it.
I bought three miniature roses when they were marked down to 2.00 each at Walmart five or six years ago. They came looking dead but after I planted them they came to life and became these shrubby, little blooming bushes that furiously dance and cackle amongst themselves. Of course they never let me see them. It's all done behind my back and when I turn to look at them they are standing still but I hear their smothered giggle's. Have I arrived at middle age carefree from the expectations of other's only to be convinced that my roses are talking? "The quieter you become the more you can hear." Ram Dass
Sent from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. I am living proof of this. I am older now, with failing eyes, but I see clearer. I still have good hearing (SHEESH, I'm not that old!) but I hear things I never heard when I was young. WHY? I am more still in my heart. I let the roses sing (and mine are really shouting tall to the heavens!) and the song is sweet. Welcome my friend. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always am a conserver of water. it's precious to me. living in a mostly drought forever state. our recent rains an anomoly.
    so i shall think of you now when i draw water. and appreciate it even more.
    and as to the silence... yes. oh. yes.
    and to be one that roses speak to. . . well.
    blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beautiful roses - isn't it wonderful when something great comes about after getting such a nice deal! I agree that I must not really life the simple life yet with no washing machine or running water... that is a simple life indeed! How lovely to imagine the conversations held among plants about us! What beautiful thoughts you always share :) May the Lord continue to bless your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your thoughts about your WalMart-rescued roses. So funny! And how nice that they live on in beauty because you saw their potential.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete