"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Lumber

This is some lumber I ordered and had delivered outside my gate. I bought the lumber in town and paid a hefty price for there delivery truck to take it to the yard of the barge owner. He put it on his delivery truck and barged it across to the island and for another hefty price it arrived conveniently outside my gate. After it's arrival over several evenings after the little angel was fast asleep I began hauling it piece by piece to my front yard. There were two 6x6 eight foot long pressure treated posts that I packed in one at a time. They were heavy - and had an uncanny resemblance to each of the totes I push home in the wheelbarrow on town day. Then I had two 6x6 ten foot long pressure treated posts to haul and my gosh I struggled. The first I carried. Barely. The second I partly carried and then dragged. These posts left huge painful bruises on my arms. Later I began to wonder just how heavy they were so I looked online. I should have did this before - back when I was designing the woodshed. It was an oversight although I did check the weight on the bags of concrete. An eight foot post is 65 pounds and a ten footer is 81 pounds.
Sent from my iPhone

13 comments:

  1. Oh Ronda, you did it, however; it is quite impressive to think how the will is much stronger than the body sometimes, and our bruises in life prove that we've tried. May YOUR WILL continue to plan and plot, and that your physical being be STRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I get winded carrying the laundry baskets up and down the stairs. I am impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I never had to carry anything heavier than a laundry basket! Thanks for dropping by Kim. It's nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. Wonder Woman! That was quite an accomplishment, Ronda. Kudos for doing it by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly. It was really the only way to get it done. I deleted your second reply as it was a duplicate. I don't know why it's doing that.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like that woodshed is coming along, but I hate to hear of you doing it all by your lonesome! You are one tough gal! I admire you stamina. I have helped carry some heavy things, and helped my husband with some long posts for a shed, but there is no way I could have carried them myself. You are amazing! I know you will appreciate the woodshed and dry wood come winter, but take care of yourself, and don't overdo it! Have a wonderful and blessed week my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that it's coming along. I've since changed the location of where I am going to put it and the new site is also full of sword ferns. But Yes getting this lumber into the yard is a step forward. My friends have their own challenges. This is mine.

      Delete
  6. i used to do things like that at your age. all the time.
    last year i foolishly thought i still could.
    wound up tearing my rotator cuff. they wanted to do surgery.
    i declined. it would have to get well by itself.
    and it has. it has taken a whole year though.
    take care dear little bean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in close contact with elderly widowed women and I watch them to see how they handle rural island life. Everything is going to be alright.

      Delete
  7. WOW! You are amazing :-)
    I will be praying for you.
    I wanted to ask you, how long do you have daylight in the summer months on the island?
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great question and I am going to do a post on it. Thank you for your prayer's.

      Delete