"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 20 February 2015

Sunshine, wet wood and hummingbirds

This morning I did something that rarely happens. I ran out of water before I had finished rinsing the shampoo out of my hair. But it was a sunny day and such inconveniences can be easily overlooked. For the first time this year the sun climbed high enough above the island to shine into the sitting room. As I drifted around the room dusting cobwebs that had suddenly appeared I absorbed the warmth coming through the window. This is a good thing as I am nearly out of dry firewood and what remains is split, wet wood. How wet? I put a piece standing on end behind the stove and when I turned around there was a puddle around it. Fortunately the rest of the firewood that I retrieved from under the leaking tarp was much dryer. I brought a pile of wood inside and now it is in the entry way drying out. When it is dry I will take it outside to the back deck and bring more wet wood in. I don't have time to get bored. The female Anna's hummingbird that showed up last fall successfully over wintered at our feeder. I think she is nesting somewhere as I did see a male briefly a few weeks ago and now she doesn't spend all of her day in the elderberry bush guarding the feeder. I have a deep affinity for hummingbirds. These girls do it all on their own. The male plays no role in nest building or raising the young. For such a tiny bird this is a significant undertaking and I feel joy to have had her company over the winter months and now to share the embrace of spring.
Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. I love to see the hummingbirds, as I know it is a sure sign of spring when they arrive! And, living here in the north - I totally understand the problem with wet wood. It is quite awful to burn wet wood. I hope your wood supply can last you until the spring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm coming up with a plan for my wet wood issue and will be blogging about that shortly. Ah life it's precious but it sure ain't perfect. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Hummingbirds are delightful. It would be wonderful to live in a place where they abide year round. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a few evenings where I brought the feeder in because I knew it might freeze but we had a very mild winter. Thank you for commenting and for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete