"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Thursday 26 February 2015

Do you recognize these shells?

Yesterday we went for a beach walk with my friend. It was a glorious day. The sky was cerulean blue and the water which is always darker than the sky was dotted with shimmering diamonds. We were chatting happily away when suddenly we both reached down to the beach. She to one side and I to another. "I haven't seen this before," she said. My friend, an elderly widow in her eighties has been on this island much longer than myself and as I held the shell in my hand I knew that I had found something beautiful and new. We then held out to each other our finds and noticed that we were both holding similar but different shells that were unlike any of the island shells we both knew. Our eyes turned and scanned the pebbled beach. Scattered all around us were the glowing, silky, milky white shells and there was something else there to that glittered in the sun and I will show you that in my next post. This was more excitement than what I was used to. We filled our pockets with the strange shells and our other find. When I got home I looked in my North American shell identification guide and what we had found wasn't in there. So they are from somewhere else, further away. If you know something about these shells please say something and help solve the mystery.

Sent from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. I have no idea what kind of shell you found but they are beautiful. I've seen them before, just can't remember where. When we lived outside of Boston, we used to walk the beaches often especially in the fall and winter and collect shells. It's so peaceful on the beach then without all the summer crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how one can walk the beaches in so many parts of the world and be connected to all of it through the ocean. Thank you for your comment and for reading.

      Delete
  2. I love these, Ronda. Could they be Conch? I envy your beachcombing. :) xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but Conch is a little to general for me.....I'm a very curious person. Thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shells Ronda! They certainly have an air of mystery about them, and what a special treasure to display on your shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the shells and so is my daughter as she carefully moves them window to window 'decorating.' Thank you for your comment I treasure them.

      Delete