"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Monday 26 May 2014

Gift from the forest

I've been making jelly and syrup from the young growth on grand fir needle tips. It's tasty.....citrus-like.....high in vitamin C and free. Other popular trees to gather from are pine and spruce. How the jelly or syrup tastes depends on the strength of the juice and/or how much sugar is in it. I've tried a number of different proportions and I am sharing one of my jelly recipes. It's got it's own particular taste-Yummy and it is low in sugar. It is so good I'm canning pints. To make the juice which is enough for 1 batch gather approx. 550-600 grams dry weight, young grand fir needle tips. Place tips in large kettle, add 6 cups of water and simmer for 30 mins. Allow to cool. Drain through colander and then strain through several layers of cheesecloth. This will give you 4 cups of grand fir juice.
For this receipe you will need: 4 cups grand fir juice: 1 1/2 cups white sugar: 1 package (49 grams) no sugar needed pectin (available at Canadian tire) 1. Sterilize jars and prepare lids. 2. Measure sugar and set aside. 3. Measure grand fir juice into large kettle. 4. Add pectin and 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine(to reduce foaming). 5. Place on high heat; stir constantly and bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. 6. Stir in sugar. 7. Bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 1 minute stirring constantly. 8. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam. 9. Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. 10. Wipe jar rims and add lids. 11. Process in boiling water bath canner for 10 mins or in a 250 degree oven for 15 mins or leave hot jars to seal on counter.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment