"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 21 February 2014

Oatmeal bread

Homemade bread tastes delicious and I make it once or twice a week. It is a task I take great pleasure in. I used to only make white bread but to increase both nutrition and variety I began to find new receipes and experiment. This is an adapted recipe from All The Way Vegetarian by Dorothy Simms. I bought this cookbook at a local thriftstore for a quarter and it is definitely one of my better finds. I looked online and while it is out of print I saw a copy on eBay for five bucks. This is my adapted recipe. In large bowl combine the following ingredients: 2 cups quick oatmeal, 1/2 cup wheat germ, 1/4 cup molasses, 1 tsp. sea salt, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 Tbsp(s) instant yeast, 3 cups whole wheat flour. Add 4 cups of warm water and stir in 3 cups of white flour. Gradually add as needed approx. 7-8 cups of white flour turning out to knead when necessary. I kneaded my dough ten minutes. It will still be a little sticky. Put into greased covered bowl and wait 1 hour or until doubled in size. Grease 3 bread pans. Punch dough down and divide into three equal parts. Shape loaves and put into pans. Allow to rise approx. 1 hr. and bake 325 for 35- 40 mins.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment