"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Saturday 1 February 2014

Nursing and weaning

We are nearing the end of weaning. Babygirl is 22 months old. I was planning on having her weaned by her 2nd birthday but she is leading the weaning herself and it may happen sooner. I have been weaning on and off over several months and when I begin another round of eliminating a feeding I experience mild depression. I know it is linked to the shifting hormones in my body. I remind myself that I have reason to celebrate. My body did what it was supposed to do. Carrying a baby, childbirth, nursing and stay at home mommy hood is the most beautiful, intense, experience ever. The rewards are unmeasurable. I never planned to nurse this long. But when I saw the security and comfort it gave my daughter I wouldn't stop. There are drawbacks to toddler nursing: 1. Criticism. There is still a stigma attached to toddler nursing. 2. During this second year I have had a problem with weight gain. But the pro's out weigh the con's: 1. All the medical evidence I found makes it clear that there are numerous benefits for both mother and toddler. I found no evidence to suggest otherwise. 2. Instant toddler solace. I know that the mild depression I am experiencing now will resolve itself once my hormones stabilize. I know that my little girl still needs me and I know I am deeply blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment