"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Monday 15 April 2013

11 degrees sunny day with east wind

I just finished reading The Mommy Book by Karen Hull. I found my copy in a thrift store. It was published in 1986 and it's a nondenominational christian book with advice from 40 plus mothers and fathers. The book focuses on infancy to age three. One thing not mentioned is the value of singing to your baby. I started singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (all 5 verses) when I was six months pregnant. Very quickly after birth I learned more lullabies, children's songs, and anything else I could think of. The singing comforted her and it probably has helped me at times to. This spring on our way back to the island I was driving a heavily loaded truck. I had been driving for about ten hours and we were on a busy freeway in fast moving traffic when suddenly a windstorm hit us. It was all I could do to keep the truck on the road. Babygirl started wailing. I started to sing Jesus Loves Me in a loud and strong voice above the roar of the storm. She got very silent and when I could I glanced worriedly over at her. She had fallen asleep. Not everything in the book I could agree with but there was enough in there that I found myself marking pages that I wanted to remember and refer back to.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment