"Don't wish me happiness I don't expect to be happy all the time....It's gotten beyond that somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor. I will need them all." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Friday 16 November 2012

Pileated woodpecker tree

I found this cavity nest while doing a burn. The birds had a lovely view as it is located on a woodland edge of a bluff overlooking the sea. From what I read in my books the pileated woodpecker rarely uses a nesting location more than once. However other birds use these abandoned tree cavities. You can tell it belongs to the pileated because of the rectangular shape of the hole. All other woodpeckers that I am aware of make round holes. If you look close you can see grass stuck on the bark just below the hole. I have seen robins nest in tree cavities before and have suspected these are the ones who don't like the rain.
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment